{banner_image_future} {options_fs} {/options_fs} {/banner_image_future}

Adult LearnersFAQ


Do I qualify as a Mature Student?

A mature student is someone who is at least 23 years of age on 1st January of the year of entry to an undergraduate course.

Is there an upper age limit?


Do I need my Leaving Certificate?

No. Mature applicants are not required to meet the normal minimum entry requirements. However, if you have completed your Leaving Certificate, you may be eligible for a course based on those results so you should also include them.

Do I need to have work experience?

It is not a prerequisite but it would be an advantage to have work experience related to the particular field of study chosen. However, each mature application is dealt with on an individual basis and a lack of relevant work experience does not rule anybody out.

Is there anything I should include in the application which will help?

It is important to provide as much relevant information as possible in your application. This could include any state exam results, further education or third level qualifications, work experience or work experience in a non-formal setting (charities, clubs etc).

Do I need to have Irish Nationality to apply?

No, but to apply through the CAO, you must hold an EU birth certificate or passport and be resident in an EU member state for three of the five years prior to entry to an undergraduate course, or have official refugee status. Non-EU applicants are welcome, but will be subject to fees and must apply directly to the international office at WIT. In addition, if English is not your first language, you will be required to provide evidence of proficiency in the language. For more information WIT's International Office.

Can I apply for any programme and if so how many ?

Yes you can apply for all programmes. On the CAO application form you can list 10 choices on the Level 8 listing and an additional 10 choices on the Level 7 & Level 6 listing.

Do I have to attend for an Interview or assessment?

No (with the exception of Nursing and Music).  All applicants will receive a Mature Applicant Assessment Form to be filled out and returned to WIT by the date specified on the form. 

Where would I apply for a Grant?

Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) http://www.studentfinance.ie